Popular Posts

Monday, February 27, 2012

And When I'm Not Busy Gestating?

Or working my 9-5 job in design software sales....

I like to say that I am an interior designer...but just to be clear- i don't truly believe that, but it is the easiest way to describe what I went to school for and have passion about.  Many people don't realize that the interior design profession is just like any other professional career like an Architect or a Doctor or a Lawyer etc.  Although not every state enforces this strict definition that mandates certain things...and many people who are good at decorating and such are called interior designers on their business cards, there are real tests and certifications that have very little to do with pillows and paint colors.  See the NCIDQ exam if you are interested.

This way of summing things up that I saw on Facebook recently by my design friends says it pretty well


So without getting on a big soap box about interior design, I just wanted to write about this for those wondering what the heck you could possibly do in school for 4 years on the topic of Interior Design, and why it is slightly frustrating when people assume you spent that time learning the PERFECT way to arrange your living room (sometimes I wish I knew more about that).

Being a good decorator often is a natural talent in my opinion, but if you want to learn how to really design space, pull together a concept in your mind, while creating a set of plans that someone else can follow... that is what interior design school was worth to me.  I attended the University of Georgia's Lamar Dodd School of Art program.

In the past I worked 3 different real world jobs, and let me tell you it was very stressful with lots of pressure, longgg hours and plenty of liability since you are affecting the interior walls of a space and such.  Here is a shot of my senior thesis project which was theoretical of course, but I have worked on real world projects that were built as well.  For more of my work, check out my portfolio page at www.coroflot.com/kmyers.

Senior Thesis Project: My take on a Young Adult Library

First house that I got to design and see built in Athens, GA.  Located on Poplar St.


Nowadays, I just use what I know for my own home, and yes most of it does come down to "just decorating" mainly because that is all we can afford :). Trust me, I would love to blow some walls up in this place and redo our master bathroom!  And since my day job does not provide a lot of creativity, I like to get back to design projects whenever I can in my spare time.  Whether it is graphic design for a friend's wedding invitations, or CD Album, or just my own little one's happy haven of a nursery. I will be posting on that soon!

Interior design will always be a passion of mine I suspect, but right now just doesn't seem to be my season of life to practice professionally.


4 comments:

  1. Kudos! I am in love with those reading bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower here!

    In my line of work, I'm currently specializing in incubating humans as well, but think that interior design is definitely a combo of education AND talent!! Gotta have both to be good! ;) I used to work for an interior designer in high school, and I am most definitely lacking in the talent department... LOL

    How far along are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashley! Those were a favorite of mine too.

    Jenn- Welcome! I sometimes wonder how much talent I have too at the interior decorating side...or the technical details! That is why I am ok doing it as just a hobby for now.

    I am 22 weeks and a few days today- and insatiable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though formal education is necessary, in order to be good designer, you must have enough practical experience.

    Interior Decorators

    ReplyDelete